Senior Accountant- Financial Reporting- North Atlanta
Direct Hire paying up to $120K, + competitive bonus/benefit package
The position holder will be responsible for several of the most critical and complex internal and external accounting/financial reporting responsibilities. This person will support the core business as well as strategic growth initiatives by taking the lead on technical and tactical accounting for, and audits all joint ventures and wholly owned subsidiaries.
She/he will maintain accounts and related reconciliations for the Company's most complex and confidential accounts. The position holder will ensure that financial statements, including venture related portions of the Company's financial statements are issued timely and accurately in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the FERC USofA.
She/he must be sufficiently skilled so as to be able to meet MLP public company technical accounting and reporting requirements and will be responsible for interfacing with resources throughout the organization to administer multiple entities' financial statement close processes.
Position holder must consistently monitor GAAP and FERC developments to identify, evaluate, implement, and document new guidance relevant to the operations. Will serve as the primary point of contact for quarterly reviews and annual audits performed by Company's external auditor (Ernst & Young). Assists in internal/shareholder audits and support rate case efforts as needed.
Essential Functions And Responsibilities
The responsibilities included represent typical responsibilities for this job and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed. Management reserves the discretion to assign additional duties and/or to change job requirements.
- Assist in the monthly close process, all equity investments, and wholly owned subsidiaries, including the preparation of journal entries and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts including intercompany and equity investment accounting entries and reconciliations.
- Prepares the most complex and confidential account reconciliations reported within financial statements, including those involving legal and environmental contingencies and accounting for income taxes.
- Prepare monthly financial package ensuring accurate reporting and adherence to a five day close calendar. Leverage financial reporting tools such as Host Analytics and Oracle to automate monthly financial reports. Assist with the maintenance of existing reports and the creation of new reports to help the business measure performance of existing and new strategic initiatives.
- Assist with joint venture accounting. Prepare or detail review monthly financial statements of Joint Ventures and wholly owned subsidiaries for accuracy.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the quarterly financial reviews and annual audits performed by external auditors. Prepare/update schedules, reconciliations, control narratives and reports as requested by external auditors. Also, coordinate internal and shareholder audits of the Financial Reporting Team.
- Read, interpret and apply accounting standards to current or proposed transactions/special projects (both GAAP and FERC). Lead or assist in the Company's implementation of new accounting standards (such as the newly enacted revenue and lease standard) including analyzing the appropriate accounting, control, policy and system impacts. Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements: Balance Sheet, Statement of Income, Statement of Stockholders' Equity and Cash Flow Statements including MD&A footnote disclosures.
- Supports the protest/complaint/rate case process through frequent thought partnership with FERC counsel and other internal/external resources. Adhere to internal controls and assist with the maintenance and implementation of new accounting systems/tools.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or closely related
- 5 years of progressive experience in accounting areas of financial reporting and/or general ledger accounting.
- Experience with preparation of GAAP compliant financial statements, including MD&A and footnote disclosures.
- Experience reading, interpreting, and applying accounting required, including but not limited to recent accounting pronouncements, joint venture/equity investment accounting, goodwill and intangibles, and business combinations
- Demonstrated proficiency with financial systems including experience with high volume transaction systems.
- Prior exposure to FERC Uniform System of Accounts
- 2+ years of public accounting (preferably audit) experience
- CPA strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Oracle financials and/or Host Analytics; Experience with reconciliation tools preferred
- Experience implementing ASC 606: Revenue and/or ASC 842: Leases preferred
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Developing and applying knowledge of GAAP & FERC Accounting
- Financial Analysis, Customer Contracts
- Extensive Computer skills (MS Office, Oracle or other large ERP, Host Analytics, Workday, and Blackline systems or other account reconciliation tool)
- Communication (Oral, Listening, Written)